Assistant Professor at the University of Colorado, Boulder
Curriculum Vitae: PDF
Photo by Lionel Levine
- Arithmetic geometry, elliptic curves, algebraic and integer sequences, cryptography, arithmetic dynamics, Apollonian circle packings, game theory.
- Applications are now open (until October 15th) for Women in Numbers 3 (a conference I'm co-organizing).
- I will be co-organizing a number theory conference in honour of my Ph.D. supervisor Joseph H. Silverman.
- I've been awarded an NSA Young Investigators Grant.
- Lionel Levine and I won a Paul R. Halmos-Lester R. Ford award for our article in The American Mathematical Monthly entitled "How to make the most of a shared meal: plan the last bite first".
- Jonathan and I are proud to announce the birth of our son, Yitzhak (Isaac). See his beautiful eyes here.
- Jonathan and I are featured in Prime Bits.
- I will be co-organising a special session on "Number Theory with a Focus on Diophantine Equations and Recurrence Sequences" with Patrick Ingram at the AMS Western Sectional Meeting April 13-14, 2013.
- I wrote an article in the AWM newsletter (March-April 2012 issue) about the Women in Numbers conference held at BIRS recently.
- Some work in game theory with Lionel Levine and Scott Sheffield was featured in New Scientist and Frankfurter Allgemeine and most recently in the London Sunday Times. Unfortunately, proper credit was not always given to Kohler and Chandrasekaran, who solved the problem first (thank you to Renate Paes Leme for pointing this out to us after the first preprint was posted to arXiv), or to Scott Sheffield, who worked with us on the second paper.
[ London Sunday Times online (paywall) | London Sunday Times print ]
[ New Scientist online (funny comments) | PDF via ScienceDirect | pdf of online version | pdf of print version ]
[ Frankfurter Allgemeine online (german) | Frankfurter Allgemeine print (german) ]
[ The Loh Down on Science (KPCC Southern California Public Radio) ]
[ our paper on `Ethiopian dinner' | our followup paper ].
- Recently back from Women in Numbers 2. I've designed and implemented the new website for Women in Number Theory. I will also be co-organising Women in Numbers 3.
- Last October, I ran a number theory workshop for high school students as part of A Taste of Pi. See PIMS December 2010 Newsletter, page 7.
- I was a `featured postdoc' in the 2010 PIMS Annual Report, page 8.
- NSF Postdoc at Stanford University, 2011-12
- NSERC/PIMS/NSF Postdoc at Simon Fraser University and the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences at the University of British Columbia, 2009-11
- NSF Postdoc at Harvard University, 2008-09
- Ph.D. under Joseph H. Silverman at Brown University, 2008
- Intern, Microsoft Research, under Kristin Lauter, 2007
- A.W.O.L. (actually A.W.L.) in Russia and Tibet, Summer/Fall 2005
- M.Sc. Mathematics, Brown University, 2003
- B.Math. Pure Mathematics, University of Waterloo, 2001
- Camper, PROMYS, 1996 & 1997
- Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado, Boulder
Campus Box 395
Boulder, CO, USA, 80309-0395
- Office phone: (303) 492-3346
Department fax: (303) 492-7707
- To email me, punctuate kstange math colorado edu.
- A permanent gmail address will always be my full name (with middle initial) separated by periods. For example, if my name were Josiah S. Carberry, you could reach me at josiah.s.carberry at gmail.com. But that's not my name, of course. Spambots, you know who you are.